Welcome to the Missouri Valley College Information Technology Department!
|Connection||Changing Password||Technology Issues||Computer Labs||IT Staff|
Connecting to the Moval Network
- IT offers a high speed wireless network connection.
- Preparing your machine/laptop
To prepare your machine, you must make sure it has the most recent updates installed. You can find these updates by navigating to "Windows Updates" on your PC or "Software Update" on your Mac.
In addition to the most recent updates, you will need an Antivirus program. Many Antivirus programs are free (AVG, Avast, etc.) If you currently have an antivirus program but it has expired, you will need to uninstall it first before you install an up-to-date program. Having two or more antivirus programs on your machine is like having none at all.
- Connecting your machine/laptop
Once your computerís antivirus is up-to-date, you may connect to MVCís network. The wireless network will require a passcode, which can be found on the Orange paper each student receives in the mail. Once you are connected (either wired or wireless), open a browser (Chrome is preferred) and connect to the internet.
The wireless passcode will change every semester. Students will need to re-enter a passcode every semester.
- Connecting gaming devices
Gaming devices will need to have wireless capabilities. Follow the steps above (Registering your machine/laptop) to register your gaming device.
- Connecting cell phones/tablets
To register your cell phone/tablet, you can follow the steps above (Registering your machine/laptop.).
- Personal wireless routers are not supported in the residence halls. If you are having trouble registering your electronic device, please have your MAC address in hand, call our IT office (660-831-4066) or stop by (TC 214).
- Google Drive
- Students have 30GB of space for personal use located in their Google Drive. The Google Drive is accessible from anywhere in the world! For more information about Google Drive click here.
Changing your Password
- Your username and password will give you access to the MVC Network, your MVC email and Moodle. You can change your password at any time. (We recommend that you change your password every month or so.) If you suspect someone is using your password, change it immediately. NEVER give out your password.
- How to make a secure password/passphrase
Your password requires a minimum of 8 characters. It also requires at least three of the following: one upper case character (ABC), one lower case character (abc), one number (123), one special character (!@$). Your password should not contain any part of your username or actual name. If you are changing your password, you will not be able to set it to the previous two passwords used.
- Change your password
Go to the MVC Password Reset Portal from any computer to reset your password. For help using the MVC Password Reset Portal view the instructions here.
Technology Issues (Connectivity, Phone, etc.)
- Troubleshoot Network Connection
- Windows Vista/7:
Open Control Panel Choose Network and Internet Choose Network and Sharing Center On the left, choose Change adapter settings Right click on the LAN connection (if wired) or Wireless connection and choose Properties. Navigate to TCP/IPv4 and choose Properties Make sure "Obtain an IP address automatically" is clicked. Click OK.
- Windows XP:
Open Control Panel Double-click Network Connections Right-click Local Area Connection and choose Properties Navigate to TCP/IP and choose Properties Make sure "Obtain an IP address automatically" is clicked. Click OK.
- Missing Drivers/Disabled Hardware
- Windows Vista/7:
Right-click "Computer" and choose Properties On the left, choose Device Manager Make sure "Network adapters" is not marked with a yellow exclamation, question mark or a red "X" If your network adapter is marked with a red "X", right-click and select "Enable" If your network adapter is marked with a yellow exclamation point or question mark, you are missing the driver. Theses can be obtained through the manufacturer's web site.
- Windows XP:
Right-click "My Computer" and choose Properties Select the Hardware tab and click Device Manager Make sure "Network adapters" is not marked with a yellow exclamation point, question mark or a red "X" If your network adapter is marked with a red "X", right-click and select "Enable" If your network adapter is marked with a yellow exclamation point or question mark, you are missing the driver. These can be obtained through the manufacturer's web site.
- Phone Issues
- Missouri Valley College does not provide long-distance service. You must use a calling card or call collect. Any number beginning with (660) 886 or (660) 831 is a local number. To dial any local number, first dial 9 to reach an outside line then dial your number. Outside callers can call your room directly by dialing (660) 831- (your 4-digit extension). They can also call (660) 831-4000 to reach the switchboard. To reach Blosser Hall, outside callers must dial (660) 831-0902, wait for the prompts and enter the room extension.
Missouri Valley College's Computer Labs are located in various locations on campus. They provide different services and technologies depending on which lab is visited.
Labs are periodically monitored for illegal use of campus computers. Anyone that violates the Computer Lab Policy will lose network privileges for an extended period of time.
Note: The campus computing facilities are closed during the college's scheduled holidays and breaks such as Thanksgiving, Christmas and Spring Break.
- Jason Rinne, Systems Administrator
- Martin Vanderboon, Online Service Coordinator
- Keith Wheeler, Network Technician
- Trista Marquand, Webmaster